"JOURNEY TO THE OSCARS(R)"
Top Stars and Directors Reflect on Defining Moments in Their Careers
Special Anchored by Robin Roberts, Airing Sunday, February 21, 10 p.m.
"Journey to the Oscars" features in-depth, emotional stories about some of the most notable 2016 Oscar nominees, including Sylvester Stallone, Brie Larson, Bryan Cranston, Sir Ridley Scott and Matt Damon. Using a cinematic, documentary-style approach, the one-hour special focuses on the key moments that have defined each artist and put the nominees on their unique paths to Hollywood's biggest night. Anchored by Robin Roberts, "Journey to the Oscars" airs SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 21 (10:00 - 11:00 p.m. EST) on the ABC Television Network.
Highlights from the star-studded hour include:
· Sylvester Stallone: It's the comeback story of the year. There may be no more compelling narrative in the entire Oscar season than the nomination of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa in "Creed." For millions of people around the world, Rocky is more than just a great movie character; he symbolizes our ability to realize our dreams. Roberts sits down with Stallone, where they discuss how much strength and insight the character has given him personally over the years, and how he has consistently and artistically found a way to adapt his signature character to a new story, one that fits and echoes the times.
· Brie Larson: She is this year's Hollywood break-out star. Although she is only 26 years old, her career has spanned from TV to film, from comedic to dramatic roles, from commercial success to universal critical acclaim. But few know the tough road Larson endured to get to this Academy Award nomination. Roberts voices the poignant story of Larson, a child who lived in a cramped studio apartment with her mom and sister, teetering on the edge of poverty, inspiring the woman who would play the unforgettable role of Joy in "Room."
· Bryan Cranston: He is the consummate craftsman. Born to an actor father, he is a Hollywood veteran, yet embodies a quiet humility. Cranston never imposes himself onto his characters; he says he simply serves them. Roberts catches up with Cranston, where he reveals a little-known turning point in his career: a moment that triggered his rise from a life toiling in soaps and commercials to his epochal turn as Walter White in "Breaking Bad." It is a direct result of this "eureka" moment that Cranston now finds himself nominated for his first Academy Award.
· "The Martian": Sir Ridley Scott and Matt Damon tell the story of their $600 million blockbuster Best Picture nominee, "The Martian." Scott, the iconic producer and director of such films as "Alien," "Blade Runner," "Gladiator," and "Thelma & Louise," is a visionary creator of worlds. We'll talk with him and his Best Actor-nominated collaborator on what made this such a compelling partnership.
· "My Oscar Journey": The nominees speak directly to camera and reveal a funny, tough, or heartwarming moment on their journey to the Oscars.
"Journey to the Oscars" is produced by MaggieVision in association with ABC's Lincoln Square Productions. Maura Mandt, David Chamberlin and John Hirsch serve as executive producers for MaggieVision. Rudy Bednar is executive producer for Lincoln Square Productions.
About Lincoln Square Productions
Lincoln Square Productions produces original content for broadcast, cable and digital distribution specializing in entertaining ways to tell fact based stories, including ABC's "What Would You Do?," ABC's award-winning true medicine series, the OSCAR Red Carpet Opening Ceremony, ABC Family's "Next Step Realty," Discovery ID's "Barbara Walters Presents American Scandal," Travel Channel's "Watt's World," as well as documentary programming for a wide array of partners, including Discovery Communications and A & E Networks. Lincoln Square Productions is a wholly-owned subsidiary of American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. The headquarters are located in New York City's Lincoln Square neighborhood.
MAGGIEVISION Productions, based in New York City, specializes in creating innovative concepts for film, television, and digital platforms. As a full service production company, MVP's do-it-all philosophy, contacts, and reputation make it unique in the industry. The talented staff, full of the entertainment industry's best and brightest, is known for conceptualizing and producing award-winning television, commercials, and live events, as well as booking top talent.
MAGGIEVISION has produced the ESPY Awards for 20 years, as well as multiple award-winning episodes of ESPN's Peabody-Award winning 30 for 30 documentary series. MAGGIEVISION also produces the annual NFL Honors awards special.