SCIENCE CHANNEL EXAMINES MODERN ENGINEERING MARVELS AND THE TRAILBLAZERS WHO INSPIRED THEM IN "IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING"
Third Season Begins Thursday, March 30 at 9PM ET/PT
(New York) - Today's feats of modern engineering are truly spectacular and keep getting bigger, stronger, and more impressive. These massive have revolutionized how we travel, do business, protect our nations, and see the world. Science Channel explores these incredible achievements in an all-new season of IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING, returning Thursday, March 30 at 9 PM ET/PT.
Behind every engineering phenomenon are the visionaries that created cutting-edge building techniques and transformed industry. Each episode of IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING features leading engineering experts who recount the stories of the technological advances that have laid the foundation for groundbreaking builds. Kicking off the third season is an in-depth look at China's Five Hundred Meter Aperture Telescope (FAST), the biggest and most sensitive radio telescope on the planet that can receive radio signals from billions of light years away.
"IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING illuminates the past, present, and future builds that influence the course of history and will continue to inspire innovation for years to come," said Marc Etkind, General Manager of Science Channel. "These remarkable feats are a tribute to the creativity and courage of humankind, and Science Channel celebrates the brilliant and inventive work happening everyday around the world."
Some of the other wonders featured this season include:
· International Space Station - Simply one of the most complex scientific engineering projects ever undertaken, this colossal structure orbits the earth 16 times a day.
· Tesla Factory - Fremont, California's 5.3 million square foot facility is the largest factory in the Western Hemisphere with the capacity to manufacture up to 1 million vehicles per year.
· Panama Canal Expansion - The $5.25 billion redevelopment was designed to accommodate the biggest cargo ships in the world.
· Halley VI Research Centre - Created for the British Antarctic Survey in 2013, this is situated on a floating ice shelf 900 miles from the South Pole and can withstand winter temperatures of minus �68.6F and winds in excess of 100 MPH.
· Littoral Combat Ships: Independence Class - These U.S. Navy masterpieces of marine engineering have been designed not only to operate in the deep waters of the open ocean, but also to provide access and dominance in shallower coastal waters.
· Airlander 10 - Hybrid airship that is meeting increased demands for cheap and efficient air travel, and has a low carbon footprint and can access remote areas.
IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING is produced for Science Channel by TwoFour Broadcast. For TwoFour, the executive producer is Neil Edwards. For Science Channel, Kyle McCabe is executive producer and Lindsey Foster-Blumberg is producer.
About Science Channel
Science Channel, a multi-media business unit of Discovery Communications, is the home of all things science around the clock, including series such as THROUGH THE WORMHOLE WITH MORGAN FREEMAN, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE, WHAT ON EARTH?, HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS, UNEARTHED, and HOW IT'S MADE. Science Channel's programming also includes daily news updates with SCIENCE PRESENTS DNEWS and timely, expert-driven specials covering breaking science news and discoveries. Science Channel is the premiere TV, digital and social community for those with a passion for science, space, technology, archeology, and engineering, providing immersive, engaging, high-quality entertainment across all Science Channel assets including: Science Channel television network, available in more than 72 million homes in the U.S; complimentary Video On Demand offering; SCI Go app allowing viewers to catch up on full episodes of their favorite shows anytime; deep video, interactive storytelling and virtual reality at www.sciencechannel.com; and conversations on Science Channel's popular social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat via @ScienceChannel.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For 30 years Discovery has been dedicated to satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global television brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Science, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery controls Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.